Monday, June 8, 2009

Nightmare or more?

This isn't generally something that I would openly talk about but for some reason I feel like I should.
The night that my friends and I got back from New Hampshire last week, me and one other guy spent the night at a friend's since the lease on our house was up. If any of you have been in Steubenville, and I mean the surrounding city, not the University, then you now it's not the greatest place. Well it was a pretty hot night so my friend and I were sleeping downstairs in the living room with the screen door shut but the wooden door open. I have no idea what time it was but at some point in the night or morning I turned so that I was sleeping on my side with my back to the door. For some reason I suddenly had the thought that maybe I should shut the wooden door because if somebody did come in (God forbid) I wouldn't be able to see.
At the same time as I was having this thought (and I mean almost the exact instant) I felt this strong pressure on my shoulder which felt like someone trying to turn me onto my back. I can honestly say that I have never been so scared in my life. My first thought (helped I'm sure by my burglar paranoia) was that someone had broken in and was turning me over, but I didn't feel a hand, only a strong pressure. I closed my eyes and it seemed to go away. I opened my eyes one more time and immediately felt the same pressure. I didn't know what to do besides pray so I recited about 20 Guardian Angel prayers and quite a few prayers to St. Michael, as well as invoking the name of Jesus. Apprently that did the trick and I was able to fall asleep without any more trouble.
Now I'm not saying that this was a demonic temptation or presence, or what-not. It's completely probable that the whole thing was a nightmare, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. To put it simply - I don't really know what happened and I haven't been able to talk to a priest about it. I've never experienced anything like this in my life. The next morning I felt fine and in fact since then I've felt better than ever, spiritually anyways. Almost as if I have won some spiritual battle. Since that night I seem to be able to communicate with the dead...just kidding (I know this is a long post, still with me?). But seriously, since that night I do seem to be able to resist little temptations like gossiping or even just being impatient. So all in all, as scary as it was, I think it was a good thing. What can I say, God is good.

No comments: